When other opera companies are shutting down across the country, it is very exciting to see that in San Antonio, a city of cultural diversity and a brand new state of the art performance hall, OPERA San Antonio is just starting up. I was excited to have a chance to speak with the cast of the original opera, Fantastic Mr. Fox, a book by Roald Dahl, whose namesake foundation officially endorsed the original opera.
OPERA San Antonio
- 417 8th Street San Antonio, TX 78215
- Tuesday, September 23 at 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, September 26 at 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, September 27 at 7:30 p.m. (simulcast to an outdoor screen in Tobin Center’s River Plaza)
- Sunday, September 28 at 2:00 p.m.
Purchase your tickets quickly here as they are selling incredibly fast!
OPERA San Antonio Fantastic Mr. Fox
Presented in the Tobin Center’s smaller Carlos Alvarez Studio Theater, which seats up to 250 people, this will be OPERA San Antonio’s inaugural performance.
Win a Family Four Pack of Tickets!
Win tickets to the invitation only, live simulcast screening of the Sept. 27 performance, in Tobin Center’s outdoor River Plaza on a 30-foot high video wall!
As always there are several ways to win! Winner will be announced and tickets will be mailed.
- Leave a comment on this post
- Become a fan on Facebook: http://facebook.com/geekettebitsfan
- Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/geekettebits
- Tweet the following: @geekettebits I want to win family 4 pack tickets to simulcast @theoperasa @thetobinCenter http://bit.ly/1p4z0t2 #FantasticMrFox
Appearing in this exciting new production will be baritone 2013 Winner of the Marilyn Horne Song Competition, John Brancy in the title role alongside soprano Elizabeth Futral, under the baton of OPERA SA Resident Conductor Andres Cladera.
Director Erica Olden and designer Emily Carew Woodard collaborate on a breathtaking new production that will bring the characters of Dahl’s novel to life in an enchanting way that opera and theater lovers of all ages won’t want to miss.
The 70-minute opera is separated in three acts by entr’actes sung by The Children’s Chorus of San Antonio with a special performance by members of the San Antonio Symphony.
Fantastic Mr. Fox – John Brancy
Mrs. Fox – Renée Rapier
Miss Hedgehog – Elizabeth Futral
Farmer Boggis – Andrew Craig Brown
Farmer Bean – Gabriel Preisser
Farmer Bunce – Edwin Vega
Badger the Miner – Zachary Altman
Burrowing Mole – Jonathan Blalock
Rita the Rat – Tynan Davis
Mr. Porcupine – Theo Lebow
Agnes the Digger – Andrey Nemzer
Mavis the Tractor – Gail Novak Mosites
Jenny Foxcub – Morgan Teel
Penny Foxcub – Jenna Takach
Lenny Foxcub – Tony Rodriguez
Benny Foxcub – Hollis Wilkins
Fox Cubs – Members of the Children’s Chorus of San Antonio
Chorus of Trees – Children’s Chorus of San Antonio
Special performance by members of the San Antonio Symphony.
Did you know?
- The cast has only been practicing together for about a week and a half. They are coming from all different parts of the country and will head back home after the opera ends.
- Cast members normally work on contracts and after this performance will look for their next contract.
- They practice at home too!