One of my most popular blog posts ever was my 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics post where I included everything you possibly could’ve wanted to know about the 2010 winter games. By popular demand I did a 2010 Education Winter Olympics post as well.
This will be the XXII Olympic Winter Games which will run from February 7th though the 23rd, a total of 17 days of fierce competition. During this time 85 different teams will proudly represent their countries and their families. The games will take place in 11 newly constructed sports venues across Sochi, Russia. 48 billion TV viewers are anticipated to watch the games, all of which will be broadcasted online!
Follow through Social Media:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sochi2014
- Russian Facebook fan page: https://www.facebook.com/Sochi2014.ru
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/sochi2014
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/43767123@N02
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/sochi2014
Wondering what events are included in the winter Olympics? Here’s direct links to each winter sport represented this year.
- Alpine Skiing
- Figure Skating
- Freestyle Skiing
- Ice Hockey
- Nordic Combined
- Short Track
- Ski Jumping
- Speed Skating
With over 1,000 hours of live streaming coverage, NBC Olympics will offer live streaming overage of all the winter Olympic games (*if you get NBC through a pay-TV subscription…) For those that don’t have cable, a limited number of the games will be available, TBD which ones.
- Mobile App: The free app is available for both iOS and Android devices.
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nbcolympics
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/nbcolympics
- TV Schedule: http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings to find out when/what channel the olympics will be locally broadcasted on.
- Opening Ceremony: Feb. 7, 2014 @ 7pm
- Closing Ceremony: Feb. 23, 2014 @ 7pm
- The Polar Bear
- The Hare
- The Leopard
- The Snowflake
- The Ray of Light
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sochi2014OM
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Sochi2014.olympic
Here’s some additional interesting resources and materials I found while devouring the website.
- ABC’s of Sochi: go through each letter of the alphabet to learn fun facts about this year’s winter Olympics!
- Photos: frequently updated with beautiful photo coverage, filter by most recent, sport galleries, ceremonies, and more.
- News: latest press coverage
- Tweet/Like to vote to support your country or your favorite athlete!
Going through the official website (so you don’t have to…) here’s some details I found for spectators:
- Download the official spectator’s guide here