I was one of the lucky ones. Whenever I wasn’t reading my dad asked me why not. I read all the time now, I cannot wait to get to the library and read more. Over the summer, while you’re trying to entertain your child who was recently release from school…without spending too much money…consider these 8 great options:
1. Half-Price Books offers Feed Your Brain – kids 12 and under can earn $3 gift certificates a week (June 1st through July 31st) by reading (or being read to) 5 times a week, 15 minutes each time…download the English/Spanish reading logs.
2. HEB – HEB Buddy 2009 Reading Program read 10 books over the summer and mail in the reward form by August 9th to get your FREE kids t-shirt.
3. San Antonio Public Library –here’s another reason the public library system is so good – Deep in the Heart of Texas. The SAPL summer reading program allows you to sign-up and keep a reading log – for every 15 books checked out and read you’ll get a FREE paperback book of your choice.
5. Pizza Hut – Book It! website (sponsored by Pizza Hut) offers a FREE parents’ guide for summer reading fun. Includes links to printable calendars, the top 10 books your kid should read this summer, and other games and resources to help the summer fly by.
6. SAPL – library FREE events that your kids will love! Performances from the Magik Theater onsite (“If You Give a Mouse a Cookie” – great time!!!), plenty of summer reading kickoff parties, and activities for all kinds of ages.
7. Barnes & Nobles – Summer Reading with Percy Jackson & Olympians works like this…read 8 books, and keep the summer journal. Once you’re done, bring it into any Barnes & Noble between May 26th and September 7th for a coupon for a FREE kids book!
8. SAWS – the San Antonio Water System offers H20 Heroes a section of their website committed to educating kids up through high school about water conservation and how important water is to our society. H20 University offers tools for parents and educators for different age levels. Meet the heroes. Download FREE printable activities. Get a FREE bookmark just by asking your librarian about water. Q&A from the H20 Heroes.
Not only will these 8 reading activities get you free stuff ($24 bucks from Half-Priced Books alone!!!) but it’ll keep you and your kid(s) busy for hours and hours!