10 FREE Summer Reading Programs
Check out 10 FREE Summer Reading Programs below some even encouraging adults to read! In Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers book, the author highlights the main negative education difference between demographics including race happens during the summer when “learning loss” occurs. He explains how the kids who don’t have education support, incentive, etc. to continue learning lose a lot of the material their learned during the year. Encourage your kids and their friends to read nonstop during the summer!
Houston Public Library
REGISTER: Early registration began May 1, 2014 and continues through August 1, 2014 at any Houston Public Library location during operating hours or remotely from a computer. Receive a free book, courtesy of Rosen Publishing, upon registration!*
READ or listen to books, enter book titles or reading time online and in your Badge Log booklet (be sure to ask your librarian for one). Go to your local Houston Public Library to pick up your prizes at the various book reading levels.
ATTEND hands-on workshops, enjoy performances and take part in activities to earn your Camp STREAM sticker badges (collect them in your Badge Log booklet)! Participate in at least 5 library programs ** and read a minimum of 5 books, to receive a special prize pack: a book bag and Chipotle meal coupon!*
REWARDS for reading include:
- Registration: one free book and one $5.00 “Read Down Your Fines” coupon.
- 5 books or 5 hour level: reading certificate and one $5.00 “Read Down Your Fines” coupon.
- 10 books or 10 hour level: one free book and one $5.00 “Read Down Your Fines” coupon.
- 20 books or 20 hour level: additional free book, one coupon for the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, and one $5.00 “Read Down Your Fines” coupon.
- 30 books or 30 hour level: one admission voucher for the Houston Zoo, and entry into a Grand Prize drawing to win a Nintendo DSi or a LEGO 8MP digital camera, and one $5.00 “Read Down Your Fines” coupon.
Pottery Barn Kids
Books a Million
Download the reading form from Books a Million here.
Borden Milk is offering FREE books redeemable by entering the code on the milk jug.
Sylvan Learning Center
Sylvan Learning Center is offering another reading program option here. Book Adventure is a fun, free way to motivate your child to read! Kids in grades K-8 can search for books, read them offline, come back to quiz on what they’ve read, and earn prizes for their reading success. Start your reading adventure! Site tour here.
Scholastic’s reading program. The Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge™ is a free online reading program for children. Join today and let’s set a new reading world record for summer 2014! (May 5 – Sept 5, 2014). Kids can register here. Educators can learn more here. Parents learn more here.
Half Price Books
Half Price Books talks about their program here. Once of my favorites!
- Read for at least 15 minutes each day in the months of June and July. (Grown-ups may read aloud to kids who are still learning.)
- Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week.
- Once you’ve read 300 minutes, turn in your completed log to earn HPB Bookworm Bucks for each month.
- We’ll award one top reader per age group each month with a TOP READER prize – a $20 HPB Gift Card!*
Barnes and Noble
Barnes and Noble offers kids FREE books.
Step 2. Bring the completed Reading Journal to your local B&N store. Find a Store.
Step 3. Choose a FREE BOOK from our selection on the Reading Journal list at the store… Enjoy reading!
San Antonio Public Library
San Antonio Public Library offers programs for non-readers, readers, and teens!
- By reading 8 books this summer, you can earn a Certificate signed by Mayor Castro — and — receive a free paperback book to keep!
- First day to turn in your log: June 15
- Last day to turn in your log: August 31
- Welcome to Teen Summer Reading Program where you can connect with friends via Facebook, share book reviews and comment about what’s going on at your library this summer. PLUS, you can do it all on your smartphone. Register here
- San Antonio Public Library’s Adult Summer Reading Challenge is to read 4 books, any 4 books (ebooks and audiobooks included), between June 1 and Aug. 31, 2014.
- All adults who finish the challenge before 5pm on Aug. 31 will be eligible for a drawing for a chance to win an eReader.
- Beginning June 1, you can create a record here to keep track of your reading, and you can post reviews of the books you’ve completed.
Download and print out this summer: 2014-english-summer-reading-club_heb
- Grab a pen and fill out the form on the back side of this flyer. Just pick out 10 books and get started.
- After you finish reading each one, log it in the form. Be sure to have a grownup put their initials by each book you’ve read.M
- Mailing the form to:
- H•E•Buddy® 2014 Summer Reading Program
- 10530 Sentinel
- San Antonio, Tx 78217
- Your form must be postmarked by October 1, 2014.
- In 3 – 4 weeks, you’ll receive the cool prizes for reading all 10 books.
Check out San Antonio Mom Blogs for 50 FREE things to do in San Antonio!