In one meal, @SAChefCoalition has set an incredible tone for the SA culinary community as this alliance of chefs strives to live up to their ambitious mission statement (from their inaugural dinner worddoc):
- Community involvement and dedication to charitable work
- Helping Local Farmers and Artisanal Producers
- Education of our Craft, Passion and Drive behind Chef Driven Restaurants
- Food & Fitness, Leading the way for making positive changes for our youth
The money raised during the 1st supper will go towards 3 SAISD high schools’ culinary programs. Only stipulation to the schools (Burbank, Lanier, and Sam Houston) was that it could not be spent on food…could be used for equipment, training, resources, etc. Learn more about the high school culinary program at Sam Houston here. Especially dear to Burbank 1994 alum Chef Jesse Perez’s heart!
The chefs (and sommelier) behind the Coalition:
|John Brand||Las Canarias||Become a Fan||@LasCanarias, @chefjohnbrand||Blog Post|
|David Gilbert||Sustenio||Become a Fan||@Sustenio, @beyondthekit||Coming SOON!|
|Michael Sohocki||Restaurant Gwendolyn||Become a Fan||@RestGwendolyn||Blog Post|
|Steven McHugh||Luke San Antonio||Become a Fan||@chefstevemchugh||Blog Post|
|Jason Dady||Tre Trattoria||Become a Fan||@tretrattoria, @chefjasondady||Blog Post|
|Chad Carey||The Monterey San Antonio||Become a Fan||@TheMontereySA||Coming SOON!|
|Andrew Weissman||Il Sogno Osteria||@AKWeissman, @IlSognoSA||Blog Post|
|Jesse Perez||Consulting Chef||@perjess2011||SA Current|
|Gabe Howe (sommelier)||Il Sogno Osteria||@texassom|
The pictures will speak for themselves but it was an amazing dinner. Easily worth the $95, from the second you wandered onto the porch of Tre Trattoria, you knew you were in for a treat. Beautifully set up, each guest received a different potted herb (basil, lavender, and more). Not only were you surrounded by engaging chefs who passionately presented meals made with TLC, the people who signed up for this grassroots meal were self-proclaimed foodies trying to feed their addiction to food porn which ended up being the perfect recipe for a high energy evening full of fun and surprises.
- For Starters: Rebecca Creek whiskey sours and charcuterie (which was FABULOUS, accompanied by the perfect mustard), carrot purée, grilled spring onions, and butter nut squash.
- Salads: Beet salad with crisp green beans, simple leafy salad.
- Leading Ladies and Supporting Acts: Farm-raised roasted chicken, AMAZING beef cheek with huge cloves of garlic, mushrooms, pomegranates (easily the show stealer of the evening), polenta, grits, kale, rutabaga, and a farro dish.
- Sweet Ending: Fresh strawberries in whipped cream and pop rocks.
Fresh ingredients were provided for by the following local farms or vendors:
|Oak Hills Farm|
|Peeler Farms||Fan Page||@peelerfarms|
|Rancho Ojo de Agua||Fan Page||@RanchoOjodeAgua|
|My Father’s Farm|
|Traders Coffee and Tea|
|Rebecca Creek Whiskey||Fan Page||@TXWhiskey|
|Ramon Bilboa||Fan Page||@ramonbilbao|
|Zonin Prosecco||Fan Page||@ZoninProsecco|
Make sure to follow @SAChefcoalition as they announce the next event, this Thursday!