Geekette Bit’s Tasty Byte Highlight
Name: Roaring Fork
Where: NW Loop 1604 Huebner, San Antonio, TX
*Disclaimer at the bottom of each menu:
Happy Hour may induce a state of euphoria. Please proceed with caution.
It doesn’t have to be Happy Hour to leave Roaring Fork in a state of Euphoria, a wonderful place to watch the game on a casual Sunday afternoon or while celebrating an intimate, special anniversary with a loved one. I have enjoyed each trip to Roaring Fork, a relatively recent addition to San Antonio’s eating scene.
As a frequent visitor, this eatery consistently boasts wood-fired cooking, a contemporary ambience, and incredible Happy Hour specials. Smoked or simmering over a calculated blend of hickory, oak, and pecan, the menu boasts an eclectic assortment of meats infused with a rustic, wood-grilled taste. Although large, 7,200 square feet, the restaurant conveys a romantically, intimate setting for friends and loved ones with its private feeling booths, low lighting, and unobtrusive wait staff.
A victim of Pavlov’s conditioning, I’m salivating at the mere thought of their extensive, comforting, and indulgent menu. Lunching there after church one Sunday, my only disappointment was that the lamb chops were not served in the afternoon. It was only a temporary setback before my taste buds were immediately appeased by the pan sautéed rainbow trout with roasted almonds. Pair with a Roaring side, the sautéed spinach and red onions were a perfect compliment. My lunch buddy went nuts over the Roaring Fork “Big Ass” Burger with longhorn cheddar cheese and smoked bacon. As the name suggests, our waiter delivered a behemoth slab of ground beef, mounded with hamburger condiments. It also came with crispy, French fries – slender, each bite packing a crunch.
Another visit, an anniversary, was preemptively planned with a phone call reservation from my boyfriend. Upon arrival we were immediately congratulated by the gracious hostess on our good fortune and whisked to an intimate booth with a wonderful view of the patio and fireplace (lit with Christmas lights.) In celebration of the 8 nights of Hanukah, the appetizer special (rumored to make a reappearance) that night was potato latke with smoked thinly sliced salmon, capers, diced tomatoes, sour crème, and chives. Every bite was incredible, the capers made my tongue dance in contrast to the sour crème and crispness of the thin, flavorful latke. We still talk about it often. It set a wonderful tone for our main courses to follow. I quickly ordered the lamb chops which came out, a perfectly grilled, as requested, medium…served with Yukon mashed potatoes, this dish left me wishing I could discreetly gnaw the bones. The rich wood flavors drew out the lamb’s wild flavors. The evening ended with a surprise sweet treat, my very favorite dessert, crème brulee…with Happy Anniversary written richly in chocolate on the plate.
- Brunch – although I haven’t made it for brunch I plan to! A lot of Tex-Mex inspired breakfasts delight brunch goers (Smoked Salmon Benedict, Breakfast Flatbread, Chicken Enchiladas and Eggs and several other tempting choices.)
- Lunch – wonderful place to treat yourself (and co-workers??) during a lunch break, several options from the dinner menu at special lunch prices!
- Dinner – sections of the menu entrees include tantalizing descriptions like “Wood Rotisserie”, “Wood Grilled Steaks, Chops, and Ribs”, and “Fresh Fish, Sandwiches, and Salads”.
Get the Deal(s):
- San Antonio’s Restaurant Week – Radio station Q101.9 and Tanji Patton of Good Taste with Tanji came up with the perfect pairing to support United Way and Bexar County. A 3-course menu will be offered at Roaring Fork (and other San Antonio restaurants) with $5 from EACH meal going to the community (order of the menu instead and $5 still goes to United Way)! August 17th through the 21st.
- Rewards Program – Sign up by going to the site and clicking “Reward Program” to get 10% credit for EVERY dollar spent after $50! Card works at all Roaring Fork locations.
Did you know?
Spurs?! The idea to open Eddie V’s in San Antonio stemmed from a Spurs player asking owners in Austin, “When are you opening in San Antonio?!”
Instead of a beer flight, enjoy their Margarita flight! (Choose 3 from their extensive ‘rita menu.)
Tuesday, Aug. 25 from 5pm-11pm –
Flicks and Food has organized a Tweetup at Roaring Fork this month! Come meet other Tweeps and enjoy:
- FREE appetizers from 5-7pm
- Half-priced margaritas (),
- $5 martinis, Mojitos, & select wine
- $2.50 draft beer
- $1 off all other drinks
- $4 off apps that aren’t free!
RSVP here before it fills up!
- Giant outdoor fireplace and patio area provides a wonderful fall escape during lunch or dinner
- All Roaring Fork locations and online reservations here.
- Possibly having appropriately timed blood drive on Halloween? Very clever!
Job Hunting? Apply here.
http://www.eddiev.com/ (Click on “eNews” and select multiple restaurants and locations – special promotion and coupon notifications.)