Join me @ 1pm! I’m excited to join KSAT’s SA Live show at the Buckhorn Museum and talk about how I like to make guac at home. I’d love to know what kind of ingredients you use to make guacamole and what you put it on. Leave me a note in the comments!
Chef Johnny Hernandez’s Guacamole Recipe
(from Simply Ming Season 10 Episode 21)
6 dried chile de Arbol peppers
3 jalapeno peppers
6 Serrano peppers
1 onion, minced
1 cup cilantro, chopped
8 garlic cloves
1 bunch scallions
1 avocado, diced
1 Roma tomato, diced
1. On a hot grill place scallions, jalapeno and Serrano chiles. Grill until just charred on all sides about 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
2. Using a Comal or a flat griddle over medium heat, add the tomatillo, dried chile de arbol peppers and garlic. Cook until tomatillo and garlic are soft, about 6-8 minutes.
3. Place all ingredients into a Molcajeta (mortar and pestle). Grind together, adding 2 tbs each of onion and cilantro until well mixed and broken down to almost smooth consistency. Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, add avocado, 1/4 cup cilantro, juice of 1 lime wedge and diced tomatoes. Mix together and set aside.
- Season the mortar before first use: grind raw rice inside the bowl until the rice turns gray; empty and repeat until the rice no longer turns gray; rinse with water and scrub with a brush.
- Always place the molcajete on top of a cloth to avoid scratching the surface of your table or countertop.
- Avoid drastic changes in temperature.
Hand-wash with running water, dish soap and a brush. Dry thoroughly.