Growing up, reading the printed newspaper with my dad while he drank coffee was always a special tradition. In order to remind people while online isn’t always best, I decided to post about great deals and alerts I found in different sections of the local newspaper…I’m sure the paper in your city has similar deals as well!
The newspapers website offers online articles, contests (I won season tickets to Splashtown once!!), and other great interactive online resources. Use their Twitter directory to follow individual sections – sports, food, etc. You’ll be surprised how many people are Twittering!
I’m also a big fan of their food section and their annual Reader’ Choice Awards, here’s 2009. List includes picks for different types of eateries and entertainment venus (1st, 2nd, 3rd, & my favorite – Critics Choice.)
Although you can subscribe to the San Antonio Express-News paper online, the best deals are offered in front of HEB or Walmarts where they’re desperate to sell and have additional bonus and great discounts. You can order it Monday-Sunday, Sundays only, Fridays-Sundays…
Favorite Newspaper Days of the Week (and why I like them):
- Wednesday – Food section of the newspaper!!! Local cooking classes, events, highlights of local eateries, interviews by local chefs, recipes from restaurants, and other fun food trivia.
- Friday – Weekender! Highlights everything going on this weekend, upcoming music venues, movie reviews, and other events you might have missed…there is also a “kids event” with a lot of interesting tidbits as well. Car review – I like to see what car is being reviewed…the section also includes Click and Clack’s Cartalk column…another family tradition.
- Sunday – about to go into detail but the deals, deals, deals! The advertisements, coupons, etc!
Sunday Newspaper Deals – different sections of the paper
- Express-News Star – (Gossip section) not only read celebrity gossip for the week but also includes pictures of the locales at recent events (include your pictures by uploading to mysa.com KEYWORD: Entertainment.) This weeks included pictures from the “Happy Hours, Happy Tails” pet adoption, “Julyfest” at the Polish American Center…
- Advertisements – obviously you’d find a lot of good deals here, some examples this week include:
- Petco – join Petco P.A.L.S. to get coupons, FREE food/grooming, exclusive pet friendly event invites. (Petco is also a fun, FREE outing for kids – kid sized shopping carts, and opportunity to walk around and see all the different animals.)
- Academy – register instantly for the CCA Texas/STAR Fishing tournament running through Sept. 7. (Who knew you could register at Academy sports + outdoors…)
- Office Depot – purchases receive 20% at all Foot Lockers coupon, Project Backpack (create unique design on blank canvas backpack with sharpie to win!), FREE glue with $5 purchase, 2 for 1 printing sign coupon…
- Travel – Coupon alert! Aiport Security Park offers 1 day FREE (with 2 day stay)! Also, on the bottom left-hand page was a small blip about the Tourism Development Corporation of the State of Nuevo Leon offers deals to tourist for coming thru Dec. 2009. Details at www.nuevoleonsesuma.com (although the front page is in Spanish, the tabs are in English – print maps, coupons, and find out where to stay, when!) Offers include 2 nights/3rd night free, buy one entrance to park or activity/2nd free, refunds on tollbooth expenses, buffets also buy one get one free!
- Front Page section – Buying Gold & Silver at 2 hotels near the airport (Holiday Inn Airport & Comfort Suites (next to Cracker Barrel, exit Rittiman.)) Do you have old gold or silver coins? Old paper money? Coin collectors unite! Bring misc. items too – sterling silver, fine jewelry, diamonds, lamps, toys (metal, pre-1950)…7 days only!
- Classifieds – Job Fair, Tues. Aug. 25, 9am-3pm at Crossroads Mall. The Sunday before newspaper will include a preview of employers set to attend. Free seminars offered throughout the day. (Want a booth? Call 210-250-2387 for details.)
- Entertainment – not only were there multiple sections on volunteering opportunities, there’s also a poetry section, tributes to the arts, home decorating articles, and a “Bookmarks” section that includes info about local literary events.
- Metro – this week’s section of the paper included an ad from the San Antonio Water System with details about the water restrictions and days. On your day you can water from 3am-8am and 8pm-10pm with a sprinkler, soaker hose, or irrigation system. Hand water anytime. Details on their website and to find out your day….
- Sports – I have always found good deals here (nestled away…coupons to Rodeo, Spurs family nights…don’t miss this section…even during the week!) This week I found a coupon for La Cantera Golf Club…Two for One golf, valid through Aug. 30th, starting at 1pm, $45…great deal! Great course! Ad must be presented at tee time…deal valid for up to 12 players valid. Right next to that was the 16th Annual Project Stuff the Bus School Supply Drive Aug. 7th from 7am-7pm…bring supplies to any area Walmarts!